Friday, June 6, 2014

Summer Time

Written by Kristin Orphan,
Ahh, it’s summer time.  For many of us, it’s a break from early mornings and homework fights. It’s a time to savor the warm weather and more family together time.  I really enjoy summer and yet, there are some challenges as well. My kids are all very different.  Some love to stay busy, others would rather sit on the couch and watch T.V.

While we spend much of our time chasing down the social schedule of one, we have to emphasize the importance of making plans with friends with another, so she doesn’t spend all her time alone.

My challenge is to find a balance between giving them a much needed break after working hard throughout the school year AND supporting them to build healthy habits.

Our family values (or what we define as healthy habits) include plenty of physical exercise, time with good friends, working to help the household and time out of town for serving and fun.   Each child requires different kinds of communication and accountability to reach those goals.


I pray for discernment and creativity as I carefully navigate this challenge with each one of my kids.  I try to find ways to build on their strengths and encourage their natural talents.  One loves sports, another is very gifted working with animals.  When I get stuck, I ask for advice from trusted friends.  You never know, someone very close to you just may have the answer you need to make the most of this celebrated season.

No comments:

Post a Comment